Slip and Falls can adversely impact your life. Read why you deserve maximum compensation.
Slip and fall fatalities are equally divided between men and women in the United States, although more women have a greater risk of experiencing a slip and fall accident. The Bureau of Labor Statistics noted that falls accounted for 5 percent of job-related fatalities for women compared to 11 percent for men ( If you experienced a fall through no fault of your own, you may want to get a slip and fall lawyer. ) The statistics report that falls account for over 8 million hospital emergency room visits, which represent the leading cause of visits. Of these falls, fractures are the most serious consequences of falls and occurs in 5 percent of all people who fall. Other facts to consider on slip and falls:
- Slips and falls are the leading cause of workers compensation claims and the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, floors and flooring materials contribute directly to more than 2 million fall injuries each year.
- Each year in the United States, one of every three persons over the age of 65 will experience a fall. According the CDC, more than 15,000 people over the age of 65 died as a result of a fall. For people aged 65-84 years, falls are the second leading cause of injury-related death. For those aged 85 years or older, falls are the leading cause of injury-related death.
- Falls account for 87 percent of all fractures among people over 65 and are the second leading cause of spinal cord injuries and brain injury symptoms.
- Half of all elderly adults hospitalized for hip fractures cannot return home or live independently after the fracture.
- Compensation and medical costs associated with employee slip and fall accidents is about 70 billion annually.
- Disabling occupational injuries due to falls are approximately $250,000-$300,000 per year.
- Falls occur in almost all manufacturing and service sectors and fatal falls are most common in construction, mining, and certain maintenance activities.
- According to the American Trucking Association, slips and falls are the leading cause of compensable injury in the trucking industry. Many truckers seek the help of a personal injury lawyer after slip and fall as the injury may cause them a loss of wages.
Given the reported facts and statistics, it is clear that slip and fall accidents can be extremely serious, especially for older individuals, and they can occur anytime, anywhere, and anyplace. There are some important actions you can take if you are injured in a slip and fall. First, get medical attention of needed, ask for a manager to file an incident report and get a copy. Take pictures on your cell phone and get any witnesses contact information. All business locations such as hotels, restaurants, shops in retail centers, apartments, and building complexes have a legal duty to make their premises safe. It is very important that you contact a personal injury lawyer with your slip and fall case. The law states that as the injured party, the injuries must be proven to be caused by the negligence of the business or premise owner of the location where the accident occurred.
At King Law Firm, we have the experience and the resources to help you recover losses from a slip and fall that was due to the negligence of others. Our team of personal injury attorneys, based in Ocala, Florida, will pursue maximum compensation for your injuries. Contact us today at 352-619-4068 to discuss your injury matter.